Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Shaken!

Did you feel the earthquake this afternoon? The one on Sunday evening? Are you prepared for a major earthquake? What things could fly across your room and really injure you? In my house, a lot of things. This summer when I have no classes, I'm making it a priority to make our house as earthquake safe as I can. Already ordered some large barrels for storing water. They weren't cheap, but neither is my life! I've read that we should all store 2 quarts to 1 gallon per day just for drinking. That's very little (you need more on a hot day or if you want to wash up occasionally), but it's necessary for survival. We live in an urban desert. All of our water supply pipes cross over fault lines to get into the greater L.A. area. We can expect to be without water for about 2 weeks. Are you prepared?

Here's the contact info. for an earthquake supply shop in Monrovia

Earthquake Solutions (626) 256-7900
www.EarthquakeSolutions.com
122 E. Walnut Ave., Suite A
Monrovia, CA 91016

The owner's name is April Kelcy. I found her to be knowledgeable and helpful. She's been in business for a long time and is well-respected in the business community. Her business is only open by appointment, so call / e-mail her ahead of time.

6 comments:

  1. Yep, thanks for reminding us with a dose of reality Juniper! Also, if you house has a crawlspace/basement area like mine does, wouldn't be a bad idea either "to add 3/4 inch plywood on the perimeter wall inside the crawlspace, nailed every 2~3 inches on every stud, to create shear resistance which adds strength against earthquake collapse", says my wise better half who works in the construction industry. However, better consult a structural engineer first before you do any DIY projects if you want something really professional and resistant against earthquakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. According to Timothy Geithner, the 4.7 earthquake was only a 2.9!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have earthquake supplies but they are all out of date. I received a stern lecture from my family this week about not having fresh batteries and water on hand. My sister recommended buying dried Gatorade packets and freeze dried food. I'll be updating my supplies this weekend along with many others Angelenos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Growing up outside CA, earthquakes really frighten me. I definitely need to be more prepared for quakes in the future. I have all of the components for an earthquake kit, but they're spread out all over my place. It would be a good idea to get them together in an organized way. Anyway, thanks for the info about the earthquake prep store - I will look into it this summer too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the plug. Just finding this now in 2015. We have moved from Monrovia, and the new phone # is 626-483-0626. I still handle the 55-gallon water drum systems that most Californians need as well as replacement food & water and other kits and supplies. Call or email earthquakesolutions@earthlink.net if you have questions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the plug. Just finding this now in 2015. We have moved from Monrovia, and the new phone # is 626-483-0626. I still handle the 55-gallon water drum systems that most Californians need as well as replacement food & water and other kits and supplies. Call or email earthquakesolutions@earthlink.net if you have questions.

    ReplyDelete