Sunday, May 24, 2009

A Techie I am not, but I’m interested!

What I’ve learned most from my TESL 565 class with Lia Kamhi-Stein is that I CAN be more courageous about trying out technology. With practice, I’ll get better about learning computer applications. Practice will build confidence and eventually yield productive results.

Below are some links to interesting things I’ve come across lately.

I think a CATESOL e-mail sent to me because I enrolled in some interest group or the other alerted me to a great ELL, ESL & EFL blog. It’s by Larry Ferlazzo and he writes about “websites of the day.” I’ve found lots of great info. there, including some stuff about Blerp (a social networking website that allows you to annotate texts online – exciting possibilities for teaching reading?), Twitter, and Facebook. You can search his blog for those keywords. I’ve done that for you below. Note the on-line session about making the most of using Facebook for classes. Might be worth tuning in for – a live online tutorial on May 31.

Larry Ferlazzo blog comments on Blerp:
- http://larryferlazzo.edublogs.org/?s=blerp

- on Twitter:
http://larryferlazzo.edublogs.org/?s=twitter
Also see at this link Ferlazzo’s entry from May 21: “How Educators Can Use Facebook Effectively – Mark the Date!” about a May 31, 5 pm Pacific Daylight Time online “Pimp My Facebook” demonstration – an EduBlog Live event


Does anyone know how EduBlog is different from BlogSpot?


I listen to my local NPR (National Public Radio) station (KPCC 89.3 FM out of Pasadena) every chance I get. Last week on the “All Tech Considered” segment, during the nightly news show “All Things Considered,” I heard something about making better usernames and passwords and remembering them. KPCC has a good website with links to NPR:. http://www.scpr.org/ Here’s what I came up with beginning to search on that website.

- http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2009/05/you_need_better_ps5w0rd.html

This segment makes me think that I’d like to look into taking measures to help me create and remember better passwords.

I also heard on NPR that Dan Schorr, one of my all-time favorite NPR personalities, is on Twitter. Here is a link with a video in which he tells Liana Hansen (another of my favorite NPR hosts) about why Twitter is the new Agora. What’s Agora? Watch the video and see!

Dan Schorr tells Liane Hansen about why he likes Twitter:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/

5 comments:

  1. Agora is an open marketplace, according to Dan Schorr during his informal chat with Liana Hansen.

    Thanks for sharing Larry Ferlazzo's blog, Juniper! I just perused through his latest 3 entries and found some helpful information about using Twitter (even though I still feel resistant about using it consistently, but I plan to read more about how to use Facebook and Twitter more effectively for academia and communicating with TESOL-minded peers). That online demo "Pimp my Facebook" on May 31st sounds very interesting and I plan to tune into it. Thanks for the tip! Larry Ferlazzo's blog and its purpose in serving ESL/EFL/ELLs is just what we TESOL people need!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love NPR, but not enough to follow anyone on Twitter. I think it was on ABCNEWS.com that I saw this link to this great blog called awkardfamilyphotos.com or something like this. It has great awkard pictures, really funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. NPR is also my favorate channel too.. I used to listen to john and Jeff show on 97.0PM but somehow they stopped the transmission and so i've gone back to NPR.

    I wish they would reinstall it soon. I loved that show!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the info, Juniper. Maybe you could save the sites you like as bookmarks on Delicious and share them with your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your suggestions. I hope you keep up this blog after our class ends--you've found some fine resources I'd like to explore further. I'm bogged down with school now but this summer I'll have lots of time on my hands (I think!) to read up.

    ReplyDelete